crossorigin="anonymous"> crossorigin="anonymous"> crossorigin="anonymous">
top of page
  • Writer's pictureAvaitors Maldives

Iceland’s New Airline PLAY To Commence Operations End of June

Iceland’s new startup low-cost airline ‘PLAY’ will commence operations on 24th June with the inaugural flight to London.

PLAY was founded as WAB Air ( We are Back) in 2019 by two former WOW Air executives Arnar Már Magnússon and Sveinn Ingi Steinþórsson following the bankruptcy of WOW Air in the same year.

The duo holds a 25% stake in the company while the remaining 75% is held by Avianta Capital

Avianta Capital is an Irish investment fund owned by Aislinn Whittley-Ryan, the daughter of RyanAir founder Michael Kell Ryan.

WAB Air was rebranded as PLAY and received its air operator certificate (AOC) in May 2021.

The airline acquired its first aircraft, An Airbus A321Neo also in May and is planning to operate to destinations in Denmark, France, Germany, Spain, and the UK by July.

PLAY aims to operate to 14 destinations in the US and Europe with 6 aircraft targeting one million passengers in the first year.



bottom of page